Gold-filled, is made by heat- and pressure-bonding a thin layer of karat gold to a brass (or other base metal) core. The "14/20" or "12/10" notation refers to the industry shorthand describing the resulting material. The first number is the karat purity of the gold used; the second number is the amount, by weight, of gold to the substrate material. "14/20" gold-filled material is made with 14-karat gold and the gold represents 1/20th (or 5%) of the total weight of the material.
- RINjuel uses 14/20 gold-filled wire and chain and 12/20 gold-filled round beads. Karat gold covers the brass surface, making it tarnish-resistant.
- The value of gold-filled is greater than gold-plated because gold-filled has an actual layer of karat gold, not just a microscopic film.
- Freshwater Pearls: Colored pearls used in our designs are dyed unless they are white.
- Tahitian Pearls are natural in color.
- We hand select each strand of pearls to ensure the highest quality.
How to protect your jewelry:
Handling your gold-filled properly is essential to maintaining its good looks and its bright finish. Made with a substantial layer of gold bonded to a base metal core, gold-filled requires some special care to keep the gold layer intact and unmarred.
- Store in a dry place. Tarnishing elements act very slowly in the absence of moisture.
- Use tissue paper between elements to protect against scratches.
- When wearing any jewelry it is advised to avoid swimming in a pool or ocean, hot tubs or whirlpools, and exposure to perfume or hairspray.